For a reasonably comprehensive medical insurance policy you can expect to pay around 10,000 AED per year (2,720 USD). Insurance premiums range from around 5,500 AED per year (1,500 USD) for a thirty-year-old expat on a comprehensive plan to around 33,500 AED (9,120 USD) for a family of four on a comprehensive plan.4
- The family medical insurance cost in Dubai especially is quite expensive in comparison to the other Emirates. The average Health Insurance Cost in UAE is around AED 10,000 per annum. The premiums for comprehensive health insurance can fall in the range of AED 5,500 annually for ex-pats to AED 33,500 for a family of four members.
Do I need medical insurance in Dubai?
In the emirate of Dubai, employers are required to provide health insurance coverage for their employees. Sponsors are required to get insurance cover for their resident dependents. Many also provide Islamic insurance (takaful).
Which insurance is best for health in Dubai?
Top Health Insurance Companies in Dubai & UAE
- AXA Gulf Insurance.
- Abu Dhabi National Insurance Company(ADNIC)
- Emirates Insurance Company.
- Ras Al Khaimah National Insurance Company.
- Dubai Islamic Insurance & Reinsurance Co.
- Oman Insurance Company.
- Daman Health Insurance.
- MetLife Individual Medical Plan.
What does medical insurance cover in Dubai?
Coverage: – Medical visits to a general doctor in UAE, in-patient treatments, emergency medical treatments or hospitalization, diagnostic tests, maternity services, prescription drugs, physiotherapy, preventive services (DHA mandatory vaccines and immunizations).
How much does medicine insurance cost?
In 2020, the average national cost for health insurance is $456 for an individual and $1,152 for a family per month. However, costs vary among the wide selection of health plans.
Which hospital is free in Dubai?
Which are the free government hospitals in Dubai? All government hospitals including Al Kuwait Hospital and Rashid Hospital offer free emergency treatment in Dubai.
What is covered under health insurance in UAE?
This covers emergencies, surgeries, tests, medication, maternity, and both inpatient and outpatient treatments. There are some limitations to EBP, including: An annual claim limit of AED 150,000. Emergency treatment limited to Emirates within the UAE.
How can I get insurance in UAE?
- Contact an insurer for a health insurance quote. You can also do this online by visiting insureme.ae or uae-medical-insurance.com.
- Fill up an application form and submit it along with the required documents.
- Pay the fees, usually via cheque.
What salary is needed to live comfortably in Dubai?
For those wishing to live in Dubai, a salary resulting in a monthly pay of AED 10,000 to AED 13,000 is relatively comfortable.
Can you have 2 health insurance plans UAE?
It is mandatory for residents in the UAE to have health insurance. “The Dubai Health Authority does not have any restrictions on the number of health insurances a resident is covered under. The law needs residents to have at least one insurance cover and there is no breach in legality in owning two.
Is medical Free in Dubai?
Dubai’s public healthcare services are available for free (or at a very low cost) to Emirati nationals. Expats in Dubai can access public healthcare services, but they must pay for a health card, and then pay a fee each time they use the services.
Why is there no tax in Dubai?
Dubai is an island with literally no production of its own. Apart from oil, everything else in Dubai has been imported. Most of these imports are also exempt from taxation. Some imports that are at odds with the local Islamic laws are heavily taxed.
How much is health insurance for a single person?
How much does Health Insurance cost? Although the cost of private health insurance varies, you can generally expect to pay between $105.10 and $112.45 for a Basic Hospital policy for a single person living in NSW.
Why is health insurance so expensive?
The price of medical care is the single biggest factor behind U.S. healthcare costs, accounting for 90% of spending. These expenditures reflect the cost of caring for those with chronic or long-term medical conditions, an aging population and the increased cost of new medicines, procedures and technologies.
Health Insurance and Costs in Dubai
Health care in the United Arab Emirates has a combination of public and private options, albeit the proportions are far from equal. Dubai’s ratio is the most severe of all the Arab Emirate’s; according to a 2018 study from the Dubai Health Authority, health services are provided in a 20 percent public and 80 percent private fashion. Emirati nationals are the primary beneficiaries of Dubai’s public healthcare system, which provides them with free treatment (or at a very low cost, depending on the treatment).
Meanwhile, dental treatment, ear care, and eye care are often not covered by public health insurance.
First and foremost, you’ll need to obtain a health card from the Ministry of Health, which you may do so by applying online.
However, there are several rather strong reasons why you should not use Dubai’s public healthcare facilities as your first port of call as an expat:
- The fact that they are created to service the local community implies that they are not especially user-friendly for foreigners (for example, there aren’t many English-speaking physicians available). The fact that they are continually in great demand implies that facilities might become overcrowded. It is mandatory for expats in Dubai to have some sort of private medical insurance, and private medical facilities are often of a higher grade than public medical facilities.
In comparison to what you may be accustomed to at home, the following are some of the most significant differences in healthcare in Dubai:
Health insurance in the UAE
This page discusses expat health insurance in the United Arab Emirates, including the types of situations that are often covered and any additional coverage that may be required. The United Arab Emirates offers one of the world’s best healthcare infrastructures, which is a big attraction for expats considering a transfer there. For expatriates residing in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, health insurance is mandatory since it contributes significantly to the provision of high-quality healthcare in the country.
The following information is contained inside this guide:
- The healthcare system and health insurance coverage in the United Arab Emirates
- In the United Arab Emirates, who needs health insurance? In the United Arab Emirates, private health insurance is available. Health insurance for those who are unemployed or earn a low wage
- Resources that are beneficial
Are you looking for expat-friendly health insurance in the United Arab Emirates? APRIL International has a long tradition of offering health coverage that is adapted to the specific demands of the expat lifestyle, allowing you and your family to live with more confidence while abroad. Whatever your reason for visiting or migrating to the United Arab Emirates, APRIL International has the correct insurance coverage for you.
COVID-19 in the UAE
A challenging period has been created by the COVID-19 epidemic for everyone involved. Many expats find themselves isolated from their families and loved ones back home in their native countries after moving abroad. As a visitor from another country, it might be difficult to obtain important information on coronavirus infection rates, local measures and restrictions, and, more recently, vaccines.
Visit the official COVID-19online dashboard of the United Arab Emirates for basic coronavirus health information, including vaccination schedules and locations, as well as the most up to current information.
The healthcare system and health insurance in the UAE
Healthcare in the UAE is provided by both the private and governmental sectors, however foreigners will mostly rely on the private sector for their needs. When traveling in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, it is very necessary to be insured; in fact, it is now a legal necessity. The healthcare infrastructure of the United Arab Emirates is outstanding. The number of institutions and healthcare experts has expanded significantly during the previous decade. Some industries have seen a fourfold increase in the number of medical experts working in them as a result of the increased demand.
Who needs health insurance in the UAE?
Insurance needs might vary depending on where you live in the Emirate. For example, in certain countries, such as Abu Dhabi and Dubai, having health insurance is necessary (a legal necessity), but in others, it is not.
TheThiqaprogram provides coverage to nationals of the United Arab Emirates. People who live in Daman are issued a Thiqa card, which grants them complete access to a wide number of commercial and public healthcare providers that are part of the Daman network. You must be between the ages of 18 and 75 and a national of the United Arab Emirates (who resides in Abu Dhabi) in order to apply. In addition, candidates must submit to a Weqayascreening conducted by the Department of Health – Abu Dhabi before being considered.
Included with this price is coverage for one spouse and three children under the age of 18.
Employees who have extra dependents are responsible for covering the costs of their health insurance coverage.
Every citizen of Dubai is required to have a level of health insurance coverage that meets or exceeds the minimum benefits established by the Dubai Health Authority under Law No. 11 (2013) on Health Insurance (DHA). The employer bears the primary responsibility for health insurance (not the employee). In addition, the legislation specifies that businesses are not permitted to withdraw money from an employee’s wage in order to offer health insurance. Residents in Dubai who are nationals of the United Arab Emirates have access to Saada.
A large number of DHA healthcare institutions as well as private providers provide treatment for Saada customers.
Employers of expats are obligated to offer health insurance coverage for their workers as a condition of employment. Sponsors are also obligated to supply their dependents with private health insurance coverage through their employer.
All government employees in Ajman are covered by health insurance, which is supplied by the government.
Employees of the government and their dependents are covered by health insurance.
What happens if I am not covered by health insurance in the UAE?
Health insurance is required by law in both Abu Dhabi and Dubai, and those who do not have evidence of coverage are subject to monthly fines. Every month in Abu Dhabi, you may anticipate to spend AED 300 for each individual who does not have health insurance coverage. If you live in Dubai, this is AED 500 a month, and the government will not renew your visa or grant you residence unless you can show proof of proper health insurance coverage.
Private health insurance in the UAE
For the most part, expats in the UAE will be working in one of two cities: Abu Dhabi or Dubai, and in order to do so they will require medical insurance. If you want to live in a foreign country, you will need to be able to demonstrate that you have adequate health insurance.
The advantages of getting private health insurance coverage in the UAE
The most significant advantage of having private health insurance in Dubai and Abu Dhabi is that there is no monthly fee, which is typically greater than the amount of donations. Aside from that, you will have access to some of the greatest medical facilities in the country, which are manned by physicians and other experts that are fluent in English as a first language. With private health insurance, you may also customize your coverage by selecting particular, bespoke add-ons.
How does private health insurance work?
If you work in Dubai or Abu Dhabi, it is the obligation of your employer or sponsor to ensure that you have private health insurance. However, even if everyone requires coverage, your employer may not always be able to offer it. In addition, coverage for dependents begins at around AED 599 per year. This is dependent on their age as well as the treatments and alternatives you would like to be covered under the policy. When it comes to filing a claim, each insurance company operates differently, so it is always a good idea to double-check with them before proceeding.
Afterwards, once you have received an invoice or receipt for the medical service, you will need to forward this information to your employer, who will refund you for your payment.
The United Arab Emirates Insurance Authority maintains a list of all insurers registered in the nation, allowing you to verify the validity of your policy.
Private health insurance companies in the UAE
A few of the worldwide health insurance companies that do business in the United Arab Emirates are listed below:
Health insurance for unemployed or low earners
TheEssential Benefits Plan (EBP) was established in Dubai in order to provide medical care to people who earn lower-level wages. Residents of Dubai who earn less than AED 4,000 per month, as well as their families, are eligible for the EBP.
There is a set fee of AED550-AED650 per year for the Plan. This includes emergencies, surgeries, diagnostics, medicines, maternity leave, as well as both inpatient and outpatient therapy services. There are various restrictions to using EBP, including the following:
- A claim limit of AED 150,000 per calendar year
- Emergency treatment is only available in the Emirates of the United Arab Emirates. In Dubai, there is no shortage of basic healthcare. There is no inclusion for treatment of chronic or pre-existing conditions during the first six months (inclusion begins after that time)
- There is no inclusion for treatment of chronic or pre-existing conditions during the first six months (inclusion begins after that period)
- Basic inpatient healthcare treatments are subject to a 20 percent co-pay, with a maximum of AED 500 per session for each encounter. AED 1,000 is the maximum amount that may be earned in a year. Any fees in excess of this are covered by the insurance. Drugs/medicines are subject to an annual maximum of AED 1,500, in addition to a 30 percent co-pay for each prescription.
EBP provides coverage for a variety of healthcare services for women during pregnancy, including:
- Care provided as outpatients during pregnancy, including blood tests, three ultrasounds, and eight pre-delivery appointments
- Inpatient services provided during labor and delivery. There is coverage for a vaginal birth delivery up to AED 7,000 and up to AED 10,000 for a medically necessary caesarian section
- 30 days of coverage for the newborn child
- Coverage for tests and screenings under the mother’s insurance policy
- And 30 days of coverage for the newborn child under the mother’s insurance policy.
Only a few firms are permitted to deliver EBP, including the following:
- It is only permitted to deliver EBP by a select group of firms, which includes the following:
- Only a small number of firms are permitted to deliver EBP, including:
Health Insurance In Dubai for Expatriates and Foreigners
Emirati nationals are entitled to free public health care. Medical treatment for foreigners, on the other hand, is provided separately. All citizens – foreigners and Emiratis alike – are required to carry medical insurance under new regulations adopted by the Dubai Health Authority in 2014. Additionally, the legislation demanded that corporations furnish private health insurance policies in Dubai for all of their foreign employees, regardless of their nationality. When it comes to primary medical care, the Essential Benefits Plan (also known as the EBP) is a valuable resource for expatriates and international citizens earning modest wages.
- Employers that have workers earning more than 4,000 dirhams per month are able to pick an international health insurance plan other than the EBP for their employees.
- Employers in Dubai are prohibited from paying a decreased wage to an employee in order to comply with low-cost EBP coverage regulations.
- Depending on the company, some may offer family coverage, but many do not.
- Co-payments are limited to a total of 1,000 dirhams each year.
Dubai Travel Insurance – Travel Medical Insurance for UAE
Purchasing travel insurance when traveling to a foreign nation is usually recommended, regardless of whether or not the government requires it. Particularly in a nation like the United Arab Emirates, where the expense of healthcare may be prohibitively expensive. The availability of medical care may be restricted in some cases by hospitals if you do not have health insurance or cannot demonstrate that you have the financial means to pay for the treatment.
Do I Need Dubai Travel Insurance?
When traveling to a foreign nation, even if it is not required, it is always a good idea to obtain travel insurance. Healthcare costs can be too expensive in several countries, including the United Arab Emirates. The availability of medical care may be restricted in some cases by hospitals if you do not have health insurance or cannot demonstrate that you have the financial means to pay for your treatment.
Where Can I Get Travel Health Insurance for Dubai (UAE)?
You may get travel health insurance for Dubai and the United Arab Emirates through a travel insurance carrier in your own country or from comparison websites such as Insubuy.
Additionally, through Insubuy, you may evaluate several insurance products and choose the one that best meets your needs. Keep the following points in mind while purchasing a travel insurance policy:
- Purchase it as soon as possible. When you schedule a vacation, one of the first things you should do is purchase travel insurance to protect yourself. This is especially true if your deposits are non-refundable and you are traveling to a place such as the United Arab Emirates, where accommodations may be rather expensive due to the high cost of living. if you need to cancel, you will receive a portion, if not the entire amount of your money back
- Investigate and compare several insurance products on the internet
- Read the policy in its entirety, including the fine print, with great attention. If you need to make a claim, knowing how much coverage you have will spare you from having to pay unexpected charges. Although it can be tedious and time-consuming, knowing precisely how much coverage you have can save you from having to pay unexpected costs.
What Should Travel Medical Insurance for Dubai Include?
When looking for travel medical insurance for Dubai, make sure you choose a policy that includes at the very least the following coverage:
- Emergencies in the medical field. Identify an insurance plan that provides coverage for emergency medical treatment, such as ambulance and emergency room visits
- Surgical procedures
- Doctor’s visits
- As well as the cost of prescription medications. Trip cancellation or postponement. Because a trip to the United Arab Emirates is likely to be expensive, you should consider purchasing insurance to cover any non-refundable reservations or deposits that you have made. If something happens that makes it necessary to cancel your trip, you’ll want to be sure that at least a portion of your spending may be refunded to you. Protection against the loss of personal belongings
- Emergency evacuation or repatriation of mortal remains are covered under this policy. In the event that you are need to be evacuated to your native country
Here’s where you can compare the many travel health insurance options for Dubai.
What Additional Coverage Should I Get?
In addition, you have the option of purchasing additional coverage for things such as:
- Expensive things and technologies that are typically not covered by regular insurance policies. While most businesses will cover pricey things like computers, cameras, jewelry, and designer clothes if you have baggage insurance, most will exclude expensive items like these. If a terrorist attack occurs during your travel, you can be reimbursed for any medical expenditures or other damages incurred as a result of the attack. Personal and legal responsibility in the event that any of your acts during the trip result in bodily harm to someone or property damage to someone. One or more of the medical expenditures will be covered by the insurance coverage
- Sports or hobbies that are risky or adventurous
Will My UAE Travel Medical Insurance Cover All My Activities?
The answer is dependent on what you want to do. Activities that might be considered high-risk are typically excluded from travel insurance policies as a matter of course. Furthermore, there are a variety of high-risk adventurous activities that you might participate in in Dubai or elsewhere in the UAE that may not be covered by the insurance. Activities such as skydiving, dune bashing, scuba diving, automobile racing, (indoor) skiing, and other extreme sports may not be covered by a conventional travel health insurance policy.
A policy that provides coverage for high-risk activities will be more expensive, and there will still be certain activities that are not covered by the insurance.
- If you are involved in an accident or suffer an injury while participating in a high-risk activity that is not covered by your insurance coverage
- Get into an accident or get an injury while under the influence of alcohol
- You get involved in an accident or suffer an injury as a result of your own carelessness. Make an appointment with your doctor to check for pre-existing medical issues. If you lose or damage your things as a result of your own carelessness (for example, if you leave them out of sight), you may be liable. If you miss your flight or need to cancel for a cause that is not covered by your insurance coverage, you may be liable.
Is Dubai Travel Insurance Expensive?
Engage in a high-risk activity that is not covered by your insurance coverage and are involved in an accident or suffer an injury as a result. While under the influence of alcohol, you are involved in an accident or suffer an injury. As a result of your own carelessness, you are involved in an accident or suffer an injury. Pre-existing medical issues should be checked by a doctor. It is possible to lose, damage, or destroy your possessions as a result of your own carelessness (for example, if you leave them out of sight); In the event that you miss your flight or need to cancel for a cause that is not covered by your insurance coverage, we can assist you.
- The length of time you will be away
- What level of protection you desire
- When you purchase it
- Your chronological age
- How many persons are covered by your insurance policy
In general, you may anticipate to spend anywhere between 4 percent and 10 percent of the total cost of your trip for travel insurance. Find out more about the rates of Dubai travel health insurance policies at Insubuy by visiting their website.
Is Healthcare Expensive in the UAE for Tourists?
Fortunately, the United Arab Emirates is regarded for having an excellent healthcare system, so if you become ill or are involved in an accident while there, you will be properly taken care of. However, healthcare is not provided for free, with the exception of UAE nationals. In reality, if you do not have health insurance, the price of medical treatment might be quite expensive. So, if you are wondering whether or not to purchase travel health insurance, keep in mind that the additional cost of the insurance coverage is a drop in the bucket compared to what you may have to spend if you require medical attention while traveling.
Are There Any Risks to Visiting Dubai?
The United Arab Emirates is a pretty safe area to visit in terms of crime.
Criminal activity is minimal, and visitors are seldom targeted by violent or small crimes like as pickpocketing, which are common in the country.
What Laws Should I Be Aware of Before Visiting Dubai?
It is important to note, however, that the laws and social standards in the United Arab Emirates are far tougher than those in Western nations. Even if you do not have to be concerned about crime, you must exercise caution so that you do not breach the law and end yourself in problems with the authorities. Things that are considered common in Western societies might be frowned upon and even outlawed in the United Arab Emirates. Among these are dressing “inmodestly,” swearing in public (even online), making rude gestures, eating on public transportation (or eating anywhere in public during Ramadan), public displays of affection (especially between unmarried or same-sex couples), criticizing the government, fundraising, taking photographs of other people without their permission, or photographs of road accidents, military buildings, palaces, or courts, among other things.
Breaking these regulations may result in a large fine at the very least, and in the worst case scenario, arrest and imprisonment.
Health Insurance in Dubai
If you are working in Dubai, health insurance is a must-have for both you and your loved ones. Anyone working in Dubai should be covered by some type of medical insurance. At the moment, however, there is little uniformity in the information presented.
Changes Ahead in Basic Health Cover
Health cards, which are provided by the Dubai Health Authority (DHA), are provided in accordance with labor regulations and provide you access to a restricted range of hospitals and clinics that are part of the DHA’s facilities. This is the health insurance coverage provided to employees earning lesser wages. Those who make more money have the option of enrolling in a health insurance plan provided by their work. It appears that, in many respects, this mimics the way the world works, with those who have more being provided to them, or who can afford to purchase their own private health insurance, benefiting from it more.
- The clinics and hospitals that are now operated by the DHA will be included in the new system.
- While this may be a benefit for lower-wage employees, it will not provide sufficient coverage for the vast majority of the population.
- It is not yet known whether the expense of this health insurance will be borne by the employer or the employee; nevertheless, given the goal of providing uniformity, it is probable that this will be the case in the future.
- Other characteristics of the new health coverage include the fact that it will be available to Emirati nationals as well as foreign tourists, and that it would provide emergency care for international visitors.
However, it is still in the planning stages, and it is not projected to be fully operational until at least 2016.
Health Insurance Providers and Pitfalls
If you do not currently have a health card, you will be covered by health insurance via your employment, and major firms or businesses can negotiate more cost-effective arrangements. Although most employers provide health insurance as part of the compensation package, this is not always the case. However, it is possible to find that your employer pays a portion of your contribution and that the remaining is deducted from your paycheck, albeit this is rare. It is vital to research any prospective employer’s benefits package and to find out who is responsible for paying for health insurance premiums.
- Example: The coinsurance levy will vary depending on the quality of the coverage and the agreement your firm has negotiated with the insurance carrier.
- In addition, there is a percentage due for pharmaceuticals that ranges between 15-20 percent.
- However, as previously said, if you are a frequent flier, you may be given a more comprehensive insurance policy in order to attract your business.
- It is important to note that not all health networks are made equal, and you will be provided with a list of the healthcare providers that are included in your plan.
- Additionally, you may be able to speak with a specialist at any hospital without the requirement for a referral from your primary care physician.
- As a result, even if you consult a professional, you will only be charged AED 50-100.
- Additionally, you may be denied admission to some hospitals because they are thought to be pricey.
As a result, it might be clearly prohibited under your policy.
Because of two factors, this always makes me apprehensive: Insurers use several ways to decrease the amount of money they will cover, and they are notoriously tardy in reimbursing the money they have collected.
With the exception of dermatology, the highest level of health insurance coverage covers everything at AHD.
I believe this is due to a widespread belief that individuals are attempting to get cosmetic surgery reimbursed as a medical expense.
In one of Dubai’s biggest commercial firms, they are the preferred insurance provider for all of the employees.
In the case when your employer provides the coverage, they choose the degree of coverage you receive.
It does not matter if your workplace has a health insurance provider; you have the option to opt out as long as you are getting health insurance from an authorized source.
Unless you are a skilled negotiator, this usually means that you will be responsible for the entire cost of the insurance unless you are able to secure exactly what you want as part of your package.
Hospitals in Dubai
Once upon a time, AHD was considered the best private hospital in the country for maternity care and any scheduled, non-emergency operation. It is common for experts to be well respected, and the wait time to visit specialists is typically manageable. Additionally, they have outstanding imaging capabilities. Welcare Hospital is another well-known medical facility. Currently, the new hospitals and clinics developing in Dubai Healthcare City are chasing after both of these hospitals for their patients.
Despite the fact that government hospitals are not normally the first option for foreigners, Latifa Hospital and Rashid Hospital, both of which provide good care despite having less aesthetically pleasing facilities than private hospitals, are both highly recommended.
The cost of health care in Dubai
In general, medical services for expats in Dubai are excellent, with a large number of contemporary clinics and hospitals to choose from. In reality, there are a number of clinics located around Dubai that provide a variety of medical services as well as specialized health care. Healthcare coverage in Dubai is confined to a government health card and/or private health insurance, according to the World Health Organization. Due to the high cost of private medical care in Dubai, many expatriates choose to purchase an international medical insurance policy.
² As an example of how expensive things may be, consider the following four average treatment expenses in Dubai:3
- Angiography-plating with two stents to repair blocked heart arteries cost US$19,074 (AED70,056.89)
- Laparoscopic hysterectomy cost US$14,986 (AED55,042.08)
- Adenotonsillectomy to remove adenoids and tonsils cost US$4,360 (AED16,013.84)
- Total knee replacement cost US$24,523 (AED90,070.53)
- Total hip replacement cost US
Plans for medical insurance coverage outside of the country provide expats with a comprehensive range of medical coverage for in-patient, daycare, and out-patient treatment, as well as medical evacuation and repatriation services This would surely offer them with peace of mind in their daily lives in Dubai, as well as safety when they go outside of the country. More information on life in Dubai Are you looking for international health insurance? To receive a quote, please click here. For employers and brokers searching for foreign private medical insurance to provide to their customers or employees, we may discuss your requirements over the phone.
Aetna ® is a registered trademark of Aetna Inc., and it is protected around the globe by trademark registrations and international treaties to which it is subject.
Health Insurance In UAE for 2022. Complete Guide from A to Z
Medico-legal protection for travelers abroad provides an extensive range of coverage for in-patient, daycare and out-patient treatment as well as medical evacuation and repatriation for expats living abroad. In addition to providing piece of mind for their daily lives in Dubai, they will also be protected outside of the country. What it’s like to live in Dubai Searching for international health and life insurance? Get an estimate by clicking here. For employers and brokers searching for foreign private medical insurance to provide to their customers or employees, we may discuss your requirements over the telephone.
The correct phone number for your location may be found here. An insurance company’s trademark, Aetna ®, is protected across the world by trademark registrations and treaties. It is used by Aetna Inc. to identify its products.
1. Mandatory health insurance
It is not news that residents and ex-pats in the United Arab Emirates are required to obtain additional medical insurance. Manorama News provided the video. In recent years, a new law has been introduced that mandates that every employee be covered by medical insurance provided by their company. Because of this rule, it is now required for employees to be covered by insurance as well.
- It is not news that residents and ex-pats in the United Arab Emirates are required to obtain additional medical insurance coverage under certain circumstances. Manorama News produced this video. In recent years, a new law has been introduced that mandates that every employee be covered by medical insurance provided by their employers. Additionally, under this regulation, workers are required to have insurance coverage.
As a result, the government, which is concerned with the welfare and health of all citizens, has made medical insurance a necessity for all citizens.
2.Improving Access to Healthcare
Essentially, the DHA believes that by mandating medical insurance coverage, it would ensure that all ex-pats and residents have comprehensive access to high-quality medical care. As a result, individuals will have access to the greatest number of medical treatments.
- When an increasing number of individuals obtain health insurance, the government’s expenditure on medical services will be reduced as a result. It is anticipated that this would reduce government expenditures. In accordance with a survey conducted by the UAE-US Business Council, the current expenditure of the UAE government on medical expenditures is around $1,200 per person per year. Another piece of good news is that making insurance mandatory would enhance competition among private firms that provide medical insurance
- This will benefit the entire community since increased competition will result in cheaper premiums for the policy.
As a result, expatriates in the UAE will be able to benefit from lower-cost medical treatments provided by the greatest clinics and hospitals in the country.
3. Convenience and Quality
It is commonly observed that the quality of healthcare facilities in the United Arab Emirates, particularly Abu Dhabi and Dubai, is comparable to that of Western countries such as the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, and so on. The fact that primary care services are given at local hospitals in addition to worldwide private medical institutions is a distinct benefit in the United Arab Emirates.
- Most people agree that the quality of healthcare facilities in the United Arab Emirates, particularly Abu Dhabi and Dubai, meets or exceeds the standards of Western countries such as the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, and other similar nations in the world. Although primary care services are given at local hospitals in addition to international private medical institutions in the United Arab Emirates, this is a disadvantage.
As a result, in recent years, there has been an increase in the development of cutting-edge hospitals.
4.Value for money
As a result, in recent years, there has been an increase in the development of state-of-the art hospitals.
- One of the primary reasons is that labor in the UAE is less expensive than labor in the United States or England
- There are several types of medical insurance policies available. There are plans that are local or international, basic or premium plans, plans that have no deductibles or plans that have deductibles, and so on.
As a result, while choosing a health insurance plan for yourself, you must take some criteria into consideration. Numerous organizations provide a variety of various programs that may be perfect for your specific needs.
5.Geographic coverage Provided by the plan
You must first choose the sort of geographic coverage that you want. This decision might be based on the number of times you travel overseas and how often you return.
- While there are certain plans that will only cover your city, there are others that will offer you with coverage throughout the whole United Arab Emirates. Depending on the package, you may be able to get coverage in the GCC nations or the Mena area. There are certain service providers who will provide you worldwide plans
- However, they are few and far between.
As a result, these plans are accessible outside of the UAE and may include coverage in Canada or the United States.
6.Maximum coverage available
In order to calculate coverage, the limits of your medical insurance policy are added together. This amount is the highest amount of financial protection that your plan provides on an annual basis. In other words, it is dependent on how pricey your plan is. If you want to acquire coverage worth Dh400,000, the premium will be more expensive than if you want to get coverage worth Dh150,000 each year, for example.
7.Clinics and hospitals Pannel
It all depends on your coverage; if you get a high-end medical insurance policy, you will have access to a large selection of facilities. It is necessary to determine whether the insurance provides coverage for the institution that you frequently visit. It is essential that you properly investigate which amenities will be covered by the coverage. As a result, these facilities should be sufficient for treating any problems that you may be suffering from.
In some situations, you may be required to pay co-insurance under your medical insurance coverage.
As a result, it is related to the percentage of the expenditures that you are responsible for paying for yourself. It is a percentage that is determined by your service provider. If you have a larger co-insurance percentage, your insurance premium will be less.
If you are planning to get married or establish a family, you should be interested in learning more about maternity benefits. It is essential that you investigate the maternity benefits that will be granted to you under the insurance.
- It is important that all of the services, including outpatient and inpatient, include what you require. Laboratory testing, ultrasound scans, prenatal examinations, and other treatments are provided as part of the out-patient program. A hospital stay provides you with coverage for your baby’s actual birth as well as any emergency medical treatments that may arise.
Thus, whether you are having a C-section or a regular delivery, you should double-check the maximum coverage limit.
10.Things Not included in your Medical Insurance plan
Several things are not included in your package, which is a disappointment. It is your obligation to browse through this list to see whether or not your requirements are covered by your plan. In order to ensure that your dental procedures are covered, you should check with your insurance provider to see whether this is an option. It is essential that you review the exclusions in order to select the most appropriate solution for your situation. Consequently, you can reduce the likelihood of having your claims denied in this manner.
11. Discount Availability
Consider whether or not you will qualify for a reduction on your medical insurance premiums while shopping around for medical insurance companies. You can get a reduction on your insurance premiums if you haven’t filed a claim in the preceding year with several different insurance companies. Another approach to save money is to purchase medical insurance for the entire family at the same time. Therefore, bundling your insurance policies might result in a savings on your premiums.
12.Your Medical Insurance options
Many medical insurance providers and brokers in the United Arab Emirates may be found online through their own websites. The firm of your choice is available to you from a large selection of 62 insurance providers and 160 brokers to pick from. According to the UAE Insurance Authority, 2017, you may simply locate an option that is perfect for your requirements. We’ve compiled a list of some of the businesses for your consideration. These firms, as well as several more, are active in the United Arab Emirates.
- At any point, you can make a claim on your insurance.
- As a result, you have access to medical services anywhere in the globe.
- 2.The National Insurance Company of Abu Dhabi (ADNIC) You can obtain coverage that will also cover the costs of medical treatment for chronic and pre-existing conditions.
- Direct billing services are also available in 197 countries throughout the world.
- 3.Emirates Insurance Company (Emirates Insurance Company) This organization offers a variety of various options that you may choose from.
- The regular plans are also accessible for families that want to save money on their health insurance.
- So you may receive foreign coverage as well as domestic coverage with a VIP package.
As a result, you have the option of choosing direct billing.
5.Dubai Islamic Insurance (Dubai Islamic Insurance) Reinsurance Corporation of America, Inc.
It covers the most up-to-date and innovative aspects of medical insurance.
You will have no trouble getting inside hospitals.
6.Oman Insurance Company (Oman Insurance Company) The application for insurance is a straightforward process.
You may take advantage of the coverage provided by this insurance in all of the UAE’s states.
7.Daman Health Insurance (Daman Health Insurance) It is one of the most affordable solutions accessible to you, with a plan beginning at AED 2108 per month.
8.MetLife Individual Medical Plan (individual medical insurance) You may also purchase a package from this provider that is reasonably priced.
Vaccinations, as well as pharmacy expenditures, are covered by the insurance coverage. As a result, low premiums and comprehensive coverage should not be overlooked.
Instantaneous coverage for medical expenses is available. At any point, you can make a claim against your insurance. With this insurance, you will be able to obtain substantial coverage. Medical services are therefore available around the world. It is possible to benefit from this insurance plan in terms of medical and dental treatments of every kind. Company d’assurance nationale d’Abu Dhabi (ADNIC) In addition to covering your chronic and pre-existing conditions, you can obtain coverage that includes facilities for treating them.
- There are 197 nations where you may take advantage of direct billing options as well.
- 3.Emirates Insurance Company (Emirates Insurance Company).
- Blue-collar employees will benefit from the base package, which includes housing and other amenities.
- It is possible to obtain a more comprehensive strategy based on your needs.
- National Insurance Company of Ras Al Khaimah (Ras Al Khaimah) Those who earn up to AED 20,000 per month are eligible to get this insurance.
- Because of this, you will be able to pay your expenses straight in an emergency circumstance.
- Company for Reinsurance There is a lot of coverage provided by this organization when you get insurance from them.
The greatest medical clinics and facilities will be able to reimburse you for your medical care.
So your claims will be settled as quickly as possible.
Insurance applications may be submitted in a fairly straightforward manner.
All of the UAE’s states are covered under the coverage of this insurance.
7-Daman Health Insurance (also known as Daman Health Insurance Plan).
As a result, the services are available around the world, with a variety of coverage choices available.
Your coverage will include medical treatments and visits from a variety of medical institutions located throughout the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Additionally, vaccinations and pharmaceutical costs are covered under the program. As a result, low premiums and comprehensive coverage should not be overlooked.
Low cost options for health insurance in Dubai
Due to the fact that health insurance is required for all inhabitants of the United Arab Emirates, insurance firms in Dubai have been forced to provide low-cost solutions for consumers to choose from. Remember, however, that, while companies are urged to do so, they are under no legal responsibility to offer coverage for the dependents of their employees who work for them. It is as a result of this that some firms in Dubai do not provide the option of insurance coverage for their employees’ families in order to save money.
According to the Dubai Health Insurance Law (ISAHD) and the mandatory Essential Benefits Plan (EBP) that went into effect at the end of 2016, companies with 100 or fewer employees, residents, domestic workers, and dependents of employees are required to have medical insurance in Dubai, regardless of their location.
- Most of the time, an EBP plan is the ideal option for people earning less than 4,000 AED per month or for those who do not work and cannot afford to get health insurance for themselves and their dependent children.
- Prior approval or pre-authorization from the insurance company is required before receiving certain in-patient coverage, such as diagnostic tests, treatments, and surgeries in non-life threatening situations.
- Furthermore, as part of being a basic plan, there are restrictions and limitations to be aware of when it comes to EBP, such as a maximum coverage per year of up to AED 150,000 in the case of an accident.
- Co-payments are set at 20 percent of the entire amount, with a maximum of AED 500 charged every visit.
- Each year, the basic package restricts drug purchases to up to AED 1,500, with the insured responsible for covering 30% of the cost of the prescription out of their own money.
- However, if there are any emergency health difficulties that arise as a result of the illness, the insurance will pay for them under medical claims coverage.
- But, particularly in these difficult economic times, it is critical for all insurance companies to provide an EBP as an alternative, providing individuals with a measure of relief when it comes to their health and financial well-being.
Whether you are seeking to purchase an EBP for yourself, your spouse, children, or domestic assistance, the following are some of the best insurance providers from which you may benefit:
|AXA insurance||Cost: 677 AED per year Coverage: – Direct billing for in-patient and out-patient treatment within the UAE, pre-existing and chronic conditions, maternity cover.|
|National Health Insurance Company||Cost: from AED 615 to 800 (depending if it’s a domestic helper or dependent) Coverage: – in-patient, out-patient, maternity and emergency services, local health insurance plans with options for worldwide benefits, access to the largest network in the UAE with over 2,000 hospitals,clinics and pharmacies.|
|Oman Insurance||Cost: AED 560 Coverage: – In-patient and out-patient services, emergencies, laboratory, maternity, over 500 hospitals / clinics and 1,400 pharmacies.|
|Metlife Alico||Cost: AED 761 (for domestic help), AED 1,312 (for dependents) Coverage: -Medical visits to a general doctor in UAE, in-patient treatments, emergency medical treatments or hospitalization, diagnostic tests, maternity services, prescription drugs, physiotherapy, preventive services (DHA mandatory vaccines and immunizations).|
|Takaful Emarat||Cost: starting from AED 525 Coverage: – Tests, diagnosis, treatments and surgeries in hospitals for non-urgent medical cases (Prior approval required), in-patient and outpatient services, maternity cover.|
|RAK Insurance||Cost: starting from AED 485 Coverage: – tests, diagnosis, treatments and surgeries in hospitals for non-urgent medical cases (Prior approval required), in-patient and outpatient services, maternity cover, day care services, emergencies.|
It is critical to choose the most convenient insurance solution for you and your family. By working with renowned insurance companies, Bayzat provides you with a diverse choice of alternatives from which to pick, ensuring that you have access to and usage of your insurance like never before. If you want to get started right away, please contact us.
Key points to remember about Health Insurance in the UAE
The United Arab Emirates is regarded for having the highest-quality healthcare facilities, which has resulted in an increase in medical tourism over the past decade. The availability of healthcare is so widespread that there are around 181 doctors per 100,000 inhabitants. Since a result, health insurance is one of the most critical concerns facing any community, as it frequently results in high-quality healthcare services being made available to a large number of individuals. The United Arab Emirates (UAE) offers some of the best healthcare infrastructure in the world, which is a big draw for expats considering a relocation there.
- There are several approaches to dealing with the problem, and some nations give free healthcare while others rely on a health insurance system to provide coverage.
- Points to keep in mind According to labor rules, you are entitled to a health card, which grants you access to a restricted number of hospitals and clinics that are part of the Dubai Health Authority (DHA) network of services.
- 11 (2013) on Health Insurance (DHA).
- The company is required to provide health insurance coverage to its employees in accordance with the health insurance policy in effect at the time.
- In addition, the legislation specifies that businesses are not permitted to withdraw money from an employee’s wage in order to offer health insurance.
- It provides insurance coverage to inhabitants of Dubai who are not covered by any government-sponsored health-care program in the city.
- UAE nationals have the option to opt out of their private healthcare plan in order to participate in the government-sponsored healthcare program.
- Sponsors are also obligated to supply their dependents with private health insurance coverage through their employer.
In addition to benefits such as emergency treatment limited to Emirates within the UAE, basic healthcare in Dubai, and a 30 percent co-pay for each prescription, the Plan has a fixed cost of AED550-AED650 per year and benefits such as emergency treatment limited to Emirates within the UAE, basic healthcare in Dubai, and a 30 percent co-pay for each prescription.
When calculating the number of activities, expenses of the activities, the number of individuals covered by an insurance package, and the rate of specific diseases as well as the mortality rate, it will be necessary to make several assumptions.
Medical services in the United Arab Emirates, while typically of exceptionally high quality, can be prohibitively costly.
Because of this, it is strongly suggested that all individuals, families, and groups residing in the United Arab Emirates, the Gulf Cooperation Council, or the Arabian Peninsula obtain some type of comprehensive UAE medical insurance coverage.
Why has the cost of health insurance in Dubai gone up?
Expat retirees aged 55 and older can now apply for a five-year retirement visa in the United Arab Emirates, with the option of renewing it. The UAE Cabinet approved the idea in 2018. A number of financial requirements must be met before this may be accomplished. For example, they must own real estate worth at least AED 2 million, have at least AED 1 million in savings, or have an active income of more than AED 20,000 per month in order to be considered for admission. Beginning in 2019, the revised strategy went into effect.
Remember to renew your residence permit online if you haven’t already.
The local property market has been boosted, and it is hoped that this would encourage more locals to keep their money in UAE banks rather of sending their earnings abroad as a result of the initiative.
So, what factors have played a role in the recent increase in Dubai insurance premiums?
The premium trends of Dubai
Throughout the year, our team of specialists at Pacific Prime creates a Cost of Health Insurance Report, which is used to examine the premium trends in various nations. It uses useful data from seven major insurers in 100 countries to rank the most costly nations in the world based on the average rates for international private medical insurance (IPMI) for people and families that can be found in those countries. According to our most recent study, the average IPMI cost in Dubai in 2020 will be USD $5,207 per year.
It had just been a year earlier that the average IPMI was USD $4,666 per person.
Though higher than in prior years, the rate of rise remains lower than in previous years.
The six primary drivers of the cost of health insurance premiums
It has been determined that there are six major variables contributing to the significant increase in the average premiums in Dubai.
1. The COVID-19 epidemic
Of course, Dubai is not immune to the widespread effects of the COVID-19 epidemic, which has the potential to affect the whole world. This year, it will leave a trail of devastation across the local economy. Many businesses are being forced to downsize or perhaps go out of business, which has an influence on the pricing tactics of insurers. Some companies choose to discontinue coverage for their workers’ dependents in order to save money.
The following is an estimate of the cost of medical insurance for parents in the United Arab Emirates. Residents of the emirate have been more interested in short-term insurance coverage as a result of significant job losses in the emirate.
2. The introduction of value-added tax (VAT) in 2018
A 5% tax has been applied to practically all items in Dubai since the first of January 2018, including insurance premiums, at the beginning of 2018. While it may not appear to be a significant fee, a 5 percent variation in IPMI costs may add up to a significant amount of money.
3. Utilization of onshore plans in our report
Onshore plans are those that have been produced and offered by insurers that have been granted a license to sell plans in the United Arab Emirates. Due to the need to present a comparable perspective, we began using onshore plan numbers. We chose plans that are the closest match possible to the plans used in the remainder of the report, which are from global insurers.
4. Benefits that the plans must provide
Pre-existing diseases, especially extremely expensive health issues such as cancer and maternity care, are required to be covered by all insurance policies in the UAE, according to government regulations. As a result, although insurers are given the flexibility to attach a six-month waiting period – meaning that clients must wait until after that period has passed before insurers will accept any claims – the inclusion of these benefits increases the cost of insurance plans, which in turn raises the average cost of health insurance in Dubai.
5. Increased utilization of plans
It is estimated that about 4.6 million individuals in Dubai have health insurance coverage, according to the Dubai Health Authority (DHA). The large proportion of the insured population increases both the amount of money spent by the government on healthcare and the amount of demand placed on the healthcare system. Furthermore, the government is determined to transforming itself into a major medical tourism destination, which will increase demand even further in the future. As a result, when we consider the high level of insurance coverage, projected growth in demand, investment, and healthcare utilization trends (in which hospitals encourage patients to seek alternative medical opinions), we can see how critical it is to avoid overutilization of healthcare services and resources.
To make matters worse, healthcare providers are adopting a more aggressive marketing strategy in order to urge consumers to seek care in hospitals rather than clinics, rather than at home.
After all, insurers must make certain that there are sufficient money in their pool to cover expenditures, and the most popular method of addressing possible deficits is to raise premiums.
6. Over-billing, prescribing, and market fragmentation
We have observed certain similar themes in over-billing and over-prescribing among different brokers and insurers in Dubai, which we have categorized as follows: Generally speaking, we have observed that healthcare providers are encouraging doctors to recommend some tests, treatments, and procedures over others, as well as to prescribe more expensive, branded pharmaceuticals than they otherwise would.
Furthermore, because of the fractured connection between the healthcare and insurance sectors, it is difficult for insurers to verify if the stated treatments have actually taken place, much alone check for other details.
Having said that, the Dubai government has taken proactive efforts to combat the substantial increases in premiums. In the meanwhile, we will continue to watch the trends in Dubai’s premiums to determine if the benefits of these steps are being seen sooner rather than later.
Stay up to date with Pacific Prime for more insurance insights
The information shown above is a condensed version of some of the most important findings from our Cost of Health Insurance Report. Keep an eye on our blog for updates on our most recent guides and publications, industry news, and insurance expertise and information. International health insurance is one of the most important decisions you can make for your own well-being. You will get access to the greatest care at the top hospitals all around the globe as part of your membership. Do you live with your family?
When it comes to connecting customers with insurance products that best fit their needs, Pacific Prime Dubai has more than 20 years of expertise and nine offices globally to draw on.
Anthony Chan works as a content writer for Pacific Prime Corporation.
At the end of the day, you’ll find him searching for excellent restaurants, playing badminton, or writing scripts.